Work at Home Side Gig: Appen
Do you have an interest in technology? Are you resourceful, self-motivated, curious by nature, and do you enjoy looking up things online? Would you like to be part of a team that is helping to teach smart devices how to assist us? Smart devices, also called AI, are the future and they need to be taught how to listen, comprehend, and help humans. If this sounds fascinating to you, then becoming an Appen evaluator might be the side gig for you! This company is looking for workers who are well-organized, savvy internet users, and able to work autonomously. Keep reading to find out more.
Appen is one of the companies discussed in the post, Work at Home Side Gigs: Search Engine Evaluators and Social Media Evaluators. From their website: “We are looking for people from all over the world to participate in some of our many exciting work-from-home opportunities. These opportunities range from simple surveys that can be completed in less than one hour to ongoing projects that last for months or longer. You can leverage your social media interest, mobile device savviness, college degree in linguistics, online research skills, or passion for images, video, or audio. With so many diverse projects, chances are we’ve got something for you.”
An Appen contributor is an online worker who performs tasks on different projects for Appen clients. Appen is primarily known for search engine evaluator jobs where workers analyze the quality of search results from search engines like Google and Bing. However, they have many projects that cover a lot of interests. Some of the types of projects that are available are:
- Search Engine Evaluation
- Evaluating ads that appear on a search results page
- Evaluating specific results that are returned during a search query
- Surveys usually dealing with everyday topics
- Social Media Evaluation
- Evaluating ads that appear on different social media platforms
- Evaluating posts on different social media platforms for specific characteristics
- Evaluating search results on social media platforms
- Transcription Services
- Transcribing audio
- Transcribing videos
- Data Collection used to teach AI and smart devices
- Voice recordings
- Video Recordings
- Photos of specific or everyday objects
- Linguistic Specialties
- Text to Speech
- Speech Evaluation
General Job Requirements:
- Must be 18+
- High-speed internet access
- Exceptional Internet research and analytical skills
- Outstanding comprehension and communication skills
- A computer using the Google Chrome browser as well as a mobile device
Here’s What You Need to Know
- Flexible scheduling. You can work when you want and how much you want and from anywhere!
- As a contributor, you will track the hours you work on your project and then enter them into an invoice. You will get paid for each approved hour that you work.
- You can work on more than one project at a time. Some projects may offer work once a week, while others may require you to work at least 5 days a week.
- At the end of every month, you submit your invoice for all the hours you worked during that month. You will be paid via Payoneer or PayPal usually on the 14th of the month.
- No cost to apply!
- Quality and up-to-date anti-virus software for your computer is a good idea.
- There isn’t a qualification exam to apply for acceptance, but some individual projects do require you to pass a qualification exam before you can be added and began working.
Many of the projects are not always long-term. However, some of the linguistics, social media evaluation and search engine evaluation projects are long-term, and they pay well enough and provide enough hours (20+) weekly to be considered as more than just a side gig, allowing you to make a steady income.
To apply to be an Appen evaluator, you will need to complete a brief registration form. If you are accepted, you should receive access to the Appen project page. There you will find a list of projects with descriptions for you to review. You can read them over and apply to projects you find to be a good fit. New and interesting projects are added regularly, so check this page often.
If you think you might be interested in trying something like Appen as a way to earn side money, go here and sign up!